For many years the limit for normal apparatus loading was based on the maximum nameplate rating or an arbitrarily set value, called ‘the red line’.
On-line monitoring of power transformers and circuit breakers for condition assessment has gained popularity over the past twenty-five years, the typical technology adoption period, from concept to commercial reality in the electric utility industry.
What are the benefits of implementing End-to-End monitoring of power transformers and
- Provides Situational Awareness of electrical assets operating closer to their
capacity without compromising safety or reliability.
- Fully optimize real-time substation loading/overloading based on actual site conditions, including asset condition or operating modes.
- Assist in making intelligent decisions about load management based on actual circumstances.
- Forecast (predict) operating conditions used to facilitate condition-based maintenance (CBM) programs or agency reporting (such as environmental reporting of SF6 release).
- Collect operational and accumulated loss of life data to enable estimation of the residual.